February 20, 2017
Greetings Husky Nation!
Aurora Huskies: Courage, Power, Strength, Pride, Tradition…..last Friday afternoon Husky Nation showed a lot of Courage. We were forced to go into lock-down due to a situation that threatened the safety of our students and staff. I would like to commend our staff and students for the way you conducted yourself during this very tense situation. Thank you to our teaching staff, paras and custodians who put their training into action by reacting in a professional manner to ensure that our students were safe. Thank you to our students – for following directions, students, please understand that your teachers have been trained to react in situations like this and have protocols to follow. Students, please understand that if you are told not to do something it’s for your safety and if you choose to defy their authority the result of your actions may jeopardize your safety. Parents, thank you for your patience during the reunification process. The safety of your student is and will continue to be a priority. Finally a thank you to the Aurora Police Department, Nebraska State Patrol and Hamilton County Sheriff’s Office for their communication with us throughout the incident. As unfortunate as Friday’s event where, I could not be more proud of how everyone conducted and reacted during this situation. A team is only as great as its weakest link. Do not be the weak link! Even when faced with adversity, Everyday is a great day to be a Husky!
As everyone know we have issued all 9-12 students iPad mini’s this year and Chromebooks to all 11-12 graders. Technology device reminders:
- Per the electronic device agreement, if the device is damaged the costs incurred in getting it fixed is up to the student. If the device malfunctions or there is a technical issue the district will cover the replacement costs. If your student damages their device do not take it to a 3rd party vendor for repair because that will void all warranty of the device. In the event your student does damage their device and cannot immediately pay for repairs, the district will accept payments or in some cases provide the student opportunities to work off the debt. See Mr. Kittle if you have any questions.
Just a reminder to all parents that it is all of our jobs to teach our children to use social media in a productive manner. Every post they make stamps their digital footprint. I challenge parents to check their students Facebook, Twitter, Snapchat accounts frequently.
ACT Test for ALL Juniors
- The Nebraska Department of Education recently voted to administer the ACT exam to all juniors starting the spring of 2017. AHS Juniors will take the ACT on April 19th.
Parent Teacher Conferences
- Thank you to all the parents who attended our first term Parent Teachers Conferences. We had a great turnout and appreciate the support for your student. We will hold our 4th Term conferences on Aprili 12, 2017
- The winter activity schedule has been very busy. Congratulations to our three State Wrestling qualifiers and best of luck to boys and girls basketball as they gear up for districts in the next couple of weeks. Also, the Speech Team has been very busy competing and will also be competing in districts in the next few weeks.
- The AHS Music Department will be presenting “Shrek the Musical” on March 23, 24 and 25th. Tickets may be purchased online at https://aurorahighschool.thundertix.com/events/101079